1 cup freekeh
3 cups water
1 bunch baby (Dutch) carrots, tops trimmed
3 purple carrots, peeled, sliced in half lengthways, & then cut on diagonal
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp smoked paprika
1½ tbsp pomegranate molasses
½ cup (80g) almonds, roasted, chopped
Seeds of 1 pomegranate
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped
½ bunch mint, leaves torn
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 180o Toss carrots, olive oil, smoked paprika and 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses in a bowl, then season. Roast on a baking tray for 30-40 minutes until tender
- Meanwhile, place 1 cup freekeh and 3 cups of cold water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce to simmer and cover with lid. Cook gently for approximately a further 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, transfer freekah to a large bowl and set aside.
- Toss the remaining ingredients (¾ of the almonds, mint, parsley, spring onion, ¾ of the pomegranate seeds, olive oil and lemon juice, 2 tsp molasses) with freekeh.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve freekeh salad onto a platter or large, flat bowl. Arrange the roasted carrots on top of salad and sprinkle with remaining pomegranate seeds, remaining almonds, extra mint leaves.
Variations: for gluten free guests, use buckwheat or quinoa or brown rice
See below for your recipe …..
recipe adapted from Tom Walton’s recipe